Thursday, October 20, 2011

Quadcopter-Change of Plans

Yesterday, I went to Charlotte Hackerspace, which was doing a workshop-type thing on building quadcopters. I talked to the guy in charge of it, and he told me a bunch of helpful things, and I saw things that have influenced the way I'll build the quad. The first thing that changed was the code I'm using. I'll now use the beta code and configurator instead of the 2.7.1 code and configurator. Also, I found out what the configurator does. It programs the escs and calibrates the transmitter. Simply put, it does the hard stuff that I was worried about. I found out how I'm going to build my frame and mount my motors. I'm going to build a wooden frame, and attach the motors in a way I'll describe some other time. He also told me to use a different type of wire. The kind you can't find at radio shack. This is the kind of wire used on the battery, escs, and motors. It's silicon-covered, and has a more rubbery feel than normal wire. It's also more flexible and better for soldering because it doesn't shrink or anything. He gave me a cool piece of metal with copper on both sides separated by silicon. That way, I can send the positive current through the top and the negative through the bottom for simplicity instead of splitting a wire in a complex way. He told me I only needed three of these, which I was amazed by. I thought I needed six, and I would have if I didn't know what certain slots in the receiver were for. I'll go over that in the documentation. I'm also going to get shrink wrap to make connecting the motors and escs better. I was pretty stupid not to think of that before. I don't have a heat gun, but I think you can use a lighter. That's all. I hope to have the quad done in less than two weeks. Honestly, it's a weekend's worth of work if you know what you're doing, but I procrastinate, and now it's been about six months. That's all I have to say right now. Expect another documentation on Monday or something.

No comments: