Monday, May 30, 2011

Arduino

So I finally messed with the Arduino yesterday. I never thought to write here until now. I found a USB cord of the right kind and plugged it into a computer. What happened next was frustrating. I needed to get the Windows device manager to work with it with the right things (I honestly don't know any of those terms. Something about ports). So I was trying to get it to work, but I was working with... Windows. The guy who showed me before had Linux, so it took him like two seconds. I had to go to Control Panel to the device manager to something else to find something and finally to click on that and select the right stuff from the application for Arduino. So, yeah. As soon as I can, I'm installing Ubuntu.

After I got the Arduino to work, I tested a simple application already written for it. It blinked an LED on it for one second at a time. It seemed to be written in Java, but apparently Arduino has its own language. We messed with the blink program since I knew the Java syntax from robotics. We got it to blink in different orders, but that kind of fun only lasts so long. Now I need to attach the shield and sensors and stuff so I can continue working on the quadcopter. Speaking of that, I got an email from HobbyKing that they finally shipped the parts and should be arriving in a few days ('a few days' is just my interpretation) which I'm looking forward to.

No comments: